In this video, avalanche instructor Sarah Carpenter talks about what to do after you have unburied your partner...
Once you've dug the patient out, do the following:
- Check the mouth and airway. Clear any snow plugs.
- Check the chest and lungs. Make sure that patient is breathing. If they're not breathing, stop and fix that! Provide CPR.
- Check for a pulse. If there's no pulse, commence with CPR.
- Check for bleeds. If there are any massive bleeds, stop and fix that.
- Check for spinal injury and check for that. Stabilize if needed.
- Can we stay and work on this problem? Or do we need a rapid evacuation.
- As soon as someone is dug up, they are exposed to the cold. Get the patient off the snow and bundled up. Treat for hypothermia.
- Do a complete patient assessment from head-to-toe to determine if there are other injuries.
- Carry and emergency kit that allows you to build a shelter, make a fire and make water.