The elements of the partner check are as follows:
- The harness should be well-adjusted and above the hips.
- Ensure that the buckles are threaded properly.
- If the harness requires a double-back, confirm that it is doubled-back.
- Confirm that the knot is properly tied.
- Confirm that it has been tightened.
- Confirm that it is through both tie-in loops.
- If using a assisted breaking device (GriGri), confirm that the rope is threaded properly.
- If using a tube-style device, confirm that the carabiner has captured the rope.
- Confirm that the carabiner is connected to the belay loop.
- Confirm that the carabiner is locked.
- If using an assisted breaking device, confirm the function of the device by pulling on the rope.
- Confirm that there is a knot in the end of the rope to close the system.
--Jason D. Martin