From Rocky Mountain National Park:
Rocky Mountain National Park staff are proposing a change in current campground fees. Campground fees are based on comparable fees for similar services in nearby campgrounds. Park staff are proposing an increase for summer camping from $26 to $30 and winter camping from $18 to $20, per site, per night.
Park staff are proposing a flat rate at group sites at Glacier Basin Campground. Currently the fees are $4 per person, per night. The proposed flat rates would be as follows: small group site (9-15 people) $40; medium group site (16-25 people) $50; and large group site (26-40 people) $60.
Camping is very popular in Rocky Mountain National Park. There are five campgrounds open during the summer, which includes 570 sites. The park’s three reservation campgrounds, Moraine Park, Glacier Basin and Aspenglen, normally fill up six months in advance. The park’s two first-come, first-served campgrounds, Longs Peak and Timber Creek, fill up quickly. Timber Creek Campground, located on the west side of the national park, normally fills up last. Moraine Park Campground remains open during the winter, with 77 sites available.
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) is the legislation under which the park currently collects entrance and amenity fees, including camping. This law allows national parks to retain 80 percent of the fees collected for use on projects that directly benefit visitors. The remaining 20 percent is distributed throughout the National Park System. Since the beginning of FLREA and its predecessor the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program, the park has spent millions of dollars in repairs, renovations, improvements and resource restoration.
People notice! Ninety percent of surveyed park visitors have continually expressed support for this program. Some of the projects funded through these fees at Rocky Mountain National Park include the park’s visitor shuttle system, which last year transported over 700,000 visitors throughout the Bear Lake Road corridor and to and from Estes Park; renovation of all restroom facilities throughout the park’s campgrounds; extensive hazard tree mitigation near facilities such as campgrounds, parking lots, road corridors, housing areas and visitor centers; and hiking trail enhancements including maintenance and reconstruction on much of Rocky’s 350 miles of trails.
“Camping is very popular in Rocky Mountain National Park. We want to keep our campground fees affordable and provide visitors with the best possible experience,” said Darla Sidles, Park Superintendent. “We feel that our proposed campground fee change is an incredible value. Plus, 80 percent of those funds stay right here in Rocky to benefit visitors.”
Park staff are seeking feedback about the proposed fee schedule. Please email comments to ROMO_Information@nps.gov by September 27, 2019. The current campground fees have been in effect for the past four years. Feedback the park receives will help determine how and when a campground fee increase may be implemented.